[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT: Introducing Our Herd

CindyB cindyb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 13:15:16 EST 2009

I'm a new subscriber and wanted to introduce myself and the family herd.

My husband and I live in a very rural area of Virginia. We recently lost our
much-loved bunny (8 years old) to a bunch of infections, and decided to
rescue a few cavies from local shelters. We wound up with 4, and here they
are:

Peaches: She's the largest, the most well-adjusted, and the most athletic.
The vet says she's right around a year old. She's a tad overweight, but
doesn't eat any junk and is very active.

Reese: She's a gorgeous dark brown with some lighter brown highlights. Her
hair is a little longer than the norm, so perhaps there is some Peruvian in
her background? She is *very* shy, but we are spending more time with her
and she's starting to relax a bit.

Peaches and Reese came from different people but were housed together at the
shelter. A couple weeks after they moved in with us they started fighting,
so we quickly came up with new coroplast & grid apartments. Now they both
live by themselves and are much happier.

Jay is our only boy, and we had quite a scare with him. We got him neutered,
and while getting an injection, the main nerve in his back right leg went
numb. It took several weeks to get the nerve to recover and get the use of
his leg back. He also stopped eating for a day or two during all this, and
he's our tiniest cavy so we worry. We're still trying to put the weight back
on.

Jay's companion was supposed to be another boy, but surprise!, she was a
girl, and, of course, pregnant (because the shelter housed the 2 together).
We named her Diva (for her wheeking ability) and the vet had us set up a
special maternity ward in our bedroom where it's quiet and the lighting is
dim. She'll be giving birth any time now (2 babies according to the x-ray)
and we're very, very nervous.

As soon as Diva delivers her babies and the vet says it's OK, we'll be
moving her, the kids, and Jay into 1 huge apartment.

CindyB