[Gpdd] HEALTH: UTI

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Thu Jan 22 15:28:29 EST 2009

Hi Dana,

Thanks for your input!

I have been "around the block" with urinary problems with one of my other piggies, Doris, and believe me, if there had been any sign of blood in Olivia's urine, squeaking while she was peeing or ANYTHING more dire than a damp bottom, she would have been whisked in to the vet immediately.  I was using the cystitis remedy from Peter Gurney's book, which stipulates clearly that if the barley water mixture does not clear up the problem in three or four days, you do need to see a vet. (Fortunately, in this case, it did work, and Olivia has been dry and vacuuming up her food with her usual enthusiasm in the ten days since then.)

I am definitely not a fan of people who play fast and loose with their animals' health for the sake of a few bucks, but be assured --- I'm probably at the other end of the spectrum; amongst the three piggies, my three cats and two bunnies, I think I am probably putting several of the vet's kids through college!  (I do know that I singlehandedly paid for the vet practice to acquire proper piggie and rabbit dental tools because I happened to be the first of their owners willing to pay for those procedures!)

                                                       Pat