[Gpdd] Health: Guiny's ovaries, Chico's nose

Mieke Staaks pandameisje at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 07:15:04 EST 2009

Hi all,

Yesterday I noticed that it hurt Guiny when I touched below her tummy near
her back legs.
My guess is that she is developing Ovarian cysts again...
Apart from this she seems just fine, no baldness or extra dominant behaviour
e.g. mounting the others.
I read on guinealynx that crusts around the nipples also is a sign/side
effect of ovarian cysts.
She does always have this, and has had this for a long time...
I'm not sure it's really crusts, it looks like it might just be dirt
accumulating there.
Has anyone else ever seen this with their girls?

Seeing so does not have extreme discomfort or displays extreme behaviour,
what should I do?
It is really uncomfortable when I touch her there, but it's not a place she
will usually be touched, and thus hurt, by the rest, I guess?
Last time she had these symptoms it just passed over after a while.
The other option would be to have her spayed, but she will turn 5 in March,
so I'm not that fond of that option.
Any ideas would be welcome, or experiences of other with their sows and
ovarian cysts and possibly spaying...

Just out of interest, If I do have her spayed, would she then be allowed to
run with the guys without running the risk of getting pregnant? I ask,
because this weekend someone visiting the shelter said she had her sow
spayed because of ovarian cysts.
The cage mate of her sow died, so she came looking for a new friend, which
could be a boar because she had her ovaries removed.
That seemed plausible, but is it? Eventually she decided to get a female
friend, because the spayed sow was already 3,5 years old.
There would be a chance that she'd have to find a new friend for the new
one, if her other sow died in time...

And then there is Chico and Toby. They are doing okay, and Toby's teeth have
grown back at a marvellous speed.
The teeth even grew so fast, that in the start Toby just had a double row of
top teeth!
However with getting his teeth back, Toby seems to want to use them to
chatter at Chico more and more.
Sunday we noticed Chico has a little wound, might be caused by the boys
fighting, looks like a nail scratch, on his nose.
Guiny once had that, probably after getting into a fight with Suus, and it
healed just fine.
So I do anything with it? Maybe clean it a bit with a Q-tip? Or should I
just leave it be, and let it develop a crust until that comes of,
and his nose had healed nicely?
The boys seem so have their quarrels, but usually no one is hurt, so far I
do not see any reason to actually take them apart.
Also the boys are really fond of each other, when ever I take on out of the
cage, the other will start looking for him.
And they will start to talk to each other, wheeking away...

Wow, I must say I feel a bit like an unexperienced slave here...
Any suggestions are welcome!

pandameisje at gmail.com
pandameisje at hotmail.com

Blog: http://pandameisje.hyves.nl