[Gpdd] Health: Guiny's ovaries, Chico's nose

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Jan 28 13:25:16 EST 2009

It's very hard to tell ovarian cysts from something worse and as long as her
equipment is intact it can become cancerous. If you have a great surgeon,
and I mean great, and her health is and has been good, then I would
seriously consider a complete spay. And after a 6 wheeks or so she could be
paired with a male, if he is too randy she will either teach him manners and
they will come to some accommodation or the relationship will fail, then try
the other
male. She can only be with one guy though, multiple males will fight over
her

I hade one sow spayed, but she ultimately died 2 weeks later  The reason was
she was a very "gassy girl" so the vet gave me reglan to calm her gut but
maintain motility and it worked great. It ran out after two weeks so I put
her back with her girl mates, which meant she again ate veggies, she got gas
again, it caused the stitches to itch and she ate through her belly and
intestines.  The vet, who is an amazing surgeon tried a bowel resection but
she didn't wake up. My advice since that and other surgeries my piggies
have had is to treat them as invalids for 6 wheeks.  That may seem extreme
but my (their) survival rate went
way up. There is a danger with nipple crusting that there is breast cancer
so try to rule that out before surgery.

My surgeon preferred to spay sows as they get probs much more often than
boars and although its a bigger surgery, he liked it that the incision was
far enough up the abdomen to be out of the dirtiest part more often, so
easier to keep clean. But I re iterate, you should ask the surgeon how many
spays he has done and what the survival rate is.  On my bunny site they
recommend experience on over 100  plus a failure rate of 15 or less, if this
vets sees allot of dogs and cats forget it. If his practice is exotics buns,
ferrets, and piggies, and he has a lot of surgery under his belt then feel
better about surgery. You have to be prepared to nurse her for the 6 weeks,
keeping her very close to you and monitoring every bite, esp if she is gassy

If you clean the nose don't use hydrogen peroxide, it actually kills tissue,
use betadine on a swab, then leave it alone unless it starts to look
infected,
then get him to the vet ASAP  Good luck. its a tough decision
Sandy and Manny the Boar, and his pet Little Guy.