[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE Frodo Piggyfriend

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Jan 31 08:26:30 EST 2009

We are in mourning here at Piggyfriends as we have lost our beloved Frodo.

He had munched up his supper with his usual gusto and rushed to take his late night slice of cucumber with every indication of being in good health. I always watch the herd eat their last slice so that I can go to bed in the knowledge that everypig has eaten up.

The following morning, he did not want his breakfast. He did not want to move and when I picked him up out of his pen he seemed very wobbly. I suspected a stroke, gave him some pain meds and rushed him off to see our Rodentologists. A thorough check up ruled out not only a stroke but just about everything else. He had no tumours, his motility was fine, his heartbeat strong, if a little on the slow side, his respiration was OK.......I had to leave him at the piggy hospital as I had to go to a funeral. I gave him a syringe feed before I left and he even managed to munch some parsley. He looked a little brighter when it was time to go and I felt a little more hopeful.

Sadly he did not make it. Every time that I called for a bulletin, he seemed to be a little worse and he made his own way to the Bridge in the small hours. He was not alone as our Rodentologists treat everypig as their own and he had lots of cuddles from them. He knew them very well as he had spent some time in their hospital in 2007 when he had a really nasty abscess.

He was a wonderful character, a big LAPS boy, who loved his food. The story of how he came to be a Piggyfriend is on the LAPS blog http://cavies-laps.blogspot.com/. At the moment it is the third story down.

He has left behind his friend, Shadow, who continues to eat up well but seems very lonely. He has company nearby as Cadbury and Bramley's pen adjoins his own but it is not the same. He and Frodo always slept snuggled up together, Frodo's long coat covering them both on these chilly winter nights.

I had been in the middle of writing a little story for the Tampa Piratefest and he and Shadow were the main protagonists as Shadow, a black Texel, has enough dreadlocks to equip a whole crew of Captain Jack Sparrow wannabes. I haven't the heart to finish it now so my little herd will have to wait until May for their pirate adventure in the Caribbean.

There have been so many piggies lost to the Bridge recently and I am so sad to have to add another name to that roll of honour.

Frodo has his original friend, Maple waiting for him at the Bridge, together with a whole crowd of Piggyfriends past.

I had previously offered a home to a young neutered boar, whom I had intended to put with Hope, Petunia and Peony when he arrived. Maybe he will be a new companion for Shadow instead but that will be another story.

It is always so hard to lose a piggy but, not knowing why makes it even harder. Dawnda said it all in her post today. "Our piggies may seem to be healthy today, but it can all change in a day."

R.I.P. Lovely Frodo. You were a joy to care for and love and we will always remember you. At least you had a life with us that you would not otherwise have had. I only wish that it could have been longer.

Penny and the sad Piggyfriends.