[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Advice and help (re: procedure used on Snowy Bear)

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sat Jul 11 17:52:49 EDT 2009

Dear Corrine and Michael,

I feel that you are doing the right thing to educate yourself so that
you can educate your vet so that hopefully other piggys and people will
not have to go through the terrible loss you have suffered.

I have rescued hundreds of guinea pigs since 1984 and have never heard
of penile amputation in the cavy.
The best person to talk to is Vedra Stanley-Spatcher of the Cambridge
Cavy Trust (CCT) and Guinea Pig Hospital. She has treated over 20,000
guinea pigs. She will speak to you and your vet. If you have Skype on
your computer her mobile medical help line in the UK is 447721026401. I
have been a member of the CCT for many years and Vedra is usually
available 7 days a week and has spoken to several vets who had questions
about surgical procedures. She will help non-members also. Her email is
stanislinski at aol.com. The best time to call her is after 6 pm GMT.

Dr. Chris Griffin of Charlotte, North Carolina
http://www.griffinexotics.com will also gladly speak to your vet and fax
a copy of his paper published in Exotic DVM Vol. 3.2 page 13,
“Non-surgical Removal of Urethral Stones in a Guinea Pig. You can
download this issue of Exotic DVM for $5 at
http://www.exoticdvm.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=magazines.showIcons&
In Exotic DVM Vol. 9.3 page 17 there is a paper by Mentré, V. “Penile
Amputation and Urethrostomy in a Rat”. This is the first time I have
heard of penile amputation in a rodent.

My unsolicited advice is that you should either obtain a copy of the
book Anatomy of the Guinea Pig (Commonwealth Fund Publications) (Hardcover)
by Gale Cooper M.D (Author), Alan L. Schiller M.D (Author), 1975 or make
sure your vet has a copy of it. You can buy it used from Amazon.com. I
bought mine used in 1980 from a seller of used scientific books. Knowing
the anatomy of the male cavy penis, I can see no way that it would ever
be necessary to amputate the penis. Another good book to have that you
can buy from the CCT is Diagnostic Guide to Guinea Pig Problems by Vedra
Stanley-Spatcher. She states in her book to have your vet call her
before any stone operation or if your vet has any questions. You can pay
for the book through PayPal. Unfortunately I just checked and the CCT
and British Association of Rodentologists (BAR) web page is down
http://rodentology.co.uk/.  BAR also sells the book. You can order the
book from Vedra, just email her or call Richard Barber of BAR at
442078703561 or email him at info at rodentology.co.uk.

Best of Luck, Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville Tampa Florida USA