[Gpdd] MISC.: bunny stasis

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 11 18:41:06 EDT 2009

It looks like my nine-year-old bunny's got GI stasis again--the third time in a year. Each time, my vet gives me subcutaneous fluids, antibiotics, and gut motility drugs for her and has me give her simethicone. We just spent five hundred dollars on my cat's abcess, and can't afford another three hundred for the Bun, only to have her sick again in four months. I'm trying to be rational here. She doesn't like anyone, so food's her only pleasure, and now she's refusing to eat, as she always does with stasis. Euthanasia seems to be the only logical solution, given the pain of stasis and its frequent recurrence in spite of a diet of timothy hay, veggies, fresh, cleaned grass from our pasture, and a small bit of pellets. I feel as if I've failed her emotionally as well as physically. I don't think she's a people bun. At least she never met a person she felt good about. I tried her with a bunny friend or two, but, inspite of our many precautions, she was
 aggressive and I was too stressed out watching fur fly.
I could have her put to sleep now and never know if she might've recovered on her own. I could wait 'til tomorrow morning and torment myself all night, wondering if she's in pain.
I could put her through another couple weeks' painful treatment (funds permitting) only to have to repeat it in a couple months. Please pray The Bun lets me know what she wants me to do.
Joanie