[Gpdd] HEALTH: BG With Breathing Problems

bunsnpigs at aol.com bunsnpigs at aol.com
Tue Jul 14 12:50:01 EDT 2009

Carole, guinea pigs (like most mammals) are obligate nasal breathers meaning they don't breathe through their mouths unless absolutely necessary and it almost always means they are having some respiratory issues.

Whenever we have had problems with bunnies or guinea pigs who couldn't breathe due to a blockage and there was no sign of lung respiratory distress, we gave them antibacterial opthalmic drops into their little noses. They hate it, but it usually helps. You have to kind of hold their heads upward?so it goes in and doesn't dribble out. Another thing that also helped was a nasal mist that was just sterile saline to moisten everything up there.

Poor baby.

Judi L.