[Gpdd] Health: Macie

ME me at buddies.org
Thu Jul 16 02:34:19 EDT 2009

Unfortunately, that sounds like what I've experienced.  Hand feeding
will keep them around a bit longer (several months to a couple
years), but that requires a commitment of daily feedings.  Since
she's already lost about 30% of her body weight, it would take many
feedings to get her back up (I've done as many as 8 feedings every
two hours to try to get one to gain weight ... as long as they're
eating some, 3-4 feedings daily will often maintain weight).

After years of syringe feeding, I've found the best way to hand-feed
is to just use their usual dry pellets.  It's not as messy and they
generally eat more.  I take one in my fingers and get it past the
incisors and gently shove it into the back of the mouth.  At first,
only use pellets that are at most 1/4" long until you get the hang of
it.  You need to get the piece far back in the mouth or they spit it
out.  They will tell you how much water they need, but I generally
give 0.2 ml after 5-10 pellets.