[Gpdd] [HEALTH] MACIE

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Thu Jul 16 11:20:57 EDT 2009

Dear Joanne,

Yes guinea pigs do get cancer but it is rare. I do not know how old
Macie is or how much she weighs, but I think you wrote that her teeth
have been checked and they are fine. I would be more inclined to think
that Macie has internal parasites even though the test was negative.
Parasites can invade the wall of the gut and invade the liver, pancreas
and lungs. Therefore, these parasites would not show up in a fecal test.
Parasites release toxins and carry bacteria that interfere in the guts
ability to process and absorb nutrients. When was the last time she was
wormed? I have treated many cavies that were constantly loosing weight
yet they did not have any teeth problems, infections or signs of
parasites. I would immediately give Macie orally 0.4 ml 2.5% Panacur =
fenbendazole or 0.4 ml 2.5% Valbazen = albendazole. The dose is based on
metabolic rate not on body weight and is 10 mg of either of these drugs
for 5 days. I would also give her orally 0.1 ml of 1.0% Ivermectin. This
will cover the internal parasite spectrum.  I believe you live in the UK
or Europe. Peter Gurney also recommends Metatone tonic, which I always
have on hand for my cavies. The dose is orally 0.5 ml per day for a week
and then 0.3 ml per day for another week.

Best of health to Macie.

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville Tampa Florida USA