[Gpdd] GPDD--Health

deb ganley dganley at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jul 17 01:01:39 EDT 2009

We've been thru the mill with Molly for the past 3 weeks.  I took all 4 girls in for manicures as usual  on 6/23 (I'm too much of a chicken to do it myself, & for $5 per pig to get their nails trimmed, I'm there.)  Molly (my 5 1/2 year old piggie) has had malocclusions for the past year or so, so I always have my vet check her teeth for overgrowth.  Sure enough, she needed another toofy  trim, plus my Little Girl, Lily, had a cyst on her jaw.  I left them for an hour or so for both procedures to be done, & brought them home.  Lily has been fine but Molly slowed down on her eating after that.  Molly was still eating at this point.   I brought her back to the vet a week later when she slowed down on the eating even more & he found an ovarian cyst that he drained--filled up a test tube the size of our pinkies.  The vet said that'd fix Molly right up, the cyst was what was causing her slowing up on the eating.  Nope--I was convinced that Molly's eating problems were due to toofy problems, Dana gave me the name of a vet in Tampa for a second opinion since Molly stopped eating.  I brought Molly on 7/6, Dana is such a wonderful friend, she met me at the vet for moral support--he took Xrays, couldn't get blood work from her since Molly was dehydrated--the Xrays came back negative, but no teeth problems were DX'd by the Xrays or by Dr. Helmer looking in her mouth while Molly was under anesthesia.  Very long story short, I've been syringing baby food veggies into Molly for almost 2 weeks, mixed with Critical Care--her lab work, after a week of CC syringing & the vet was able to get a blood sample, came back essentially negative, the vet is assuming Molly is in renal failure.  Donna Landes hooked me up with Tex, who suggested Nux Vomica (a homeopathic anti-nausea product) since renal failure pigs might be nauseated & that'd put them off their food.  Donna was the one who suggested the baby food veggies & that's worked very well--Molly likes carrots, applesauce & green beans so far.    I'm so blessed to have Dana, Donna & Tex in our corner--at this point, we still really don't know what the true story is with Molly--the vet called to find out how she was doing & when I told him she was eating baby food & occasional cantelope, he back-tracked & said she might have just had a bladder infection ( BTW, she's been on antibiotics for the past 2 weeks--forgot to mention that.)  We're just playing it day by day--my daughter thinks Molly is gaining weight, I'm not sure.  I'm going to buy a scale this weekend & see for sure--Molly went from 2# 6oz to 1 lb, 9 oz in 3 weeks, it's pretty scary.

If anyone has an idea, I'd appreciate any input--Molly is loving her baby food/ CC mixture, she's drinking well with Tex's Nux Vomica remedy & she loves her antibiotics since they're flavored with cherry flavoring--I'd just really like to see her back on her usual pellets, hay & salads.  She nibbles on them, but hasn't gotten back to normal in 3 weeks of meds & syringing.  Thanks!   Deb, Molly, Emma, Lily & Winnie (& Potter, always in our hearts)