[Gpdd] CARE A Cautionary Tale........

Cuttlefish Arts cuttlefisharts at comcast.net
Fri Jul 24 12:22:09 EDT 2009

I'm glad all ended well!

I sometimes use junk office paper and mail as a substrate below the big
tabloid sheets of newsprint. Some piggies will eat their newspaper, alas,
but I make sure to have several layers of "clean" black and white newsprint
on the very top where they can get at it. You can't always tell though -- if
they are determined, they can get to it; I don't currently have any
"diggers" so this works well.

I had a gp who was pretty old, and in retrospect, I realize he drank and
urinated a lot -- as well as playing with his water bottle. This made for a
damp situation -- but with the proper bedding on top of papers, the papers
would suck all the liquid down so that the gps were on dry bedding. Anyway,
I used shredded paper and junk mail below the layers of newspaper, and it
was excellent for absorption. And cheap.

BUT you do have to watch for loose staples! I have started using a stapler
that doesn't use staples and can clip about 5 sheets together by making a
notch in the paper. Very clever! I wish they would come up with an
industrial process to do this. It would also make recycling a lot easier.
---Vic