[Gpdd] HEALTH: Snowy Bear

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 3 01:34:23 EDT 2009

Hello everyone and everypig!  Our three year old white teddy male, Snowy Bear, had a bad case of the runs on Sunday.  We tried our best to treat it and by Monday he was making odd shaped poos.  Then he started to make small poos, some were even strung together like sausages.  We knew what this meant, so I began syringing him water every 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  We were afraid that he had bladder stones but were hoping for cystitis since that would be the lesser of two evils.  He wouldn't eat from his bowl and he wouldn't drink any water on his own.  He would eat bits of hay and some fresh food.

So on Tuesday, we saw the vet.  He did an x-ray because he suspected the same thing as we did.  But upon viewing the x-ray he said it's not solid like a stone.  It was pretty weird looking.  He said he looked it up and he said that guinea pigs sometimes get their semen stuck within their system.  So he gave us sulfatrim to give to Snowy Bear thinking there may be an infection in the protein mass which was causing him to squeak when he peed.  He also suggested we keep giving him water to try to break up the mass.  We had already ordered some shilintong but not sure if it'll help in this instance.  And yes, we had cleaned some semen off of his penis a couple of days ago.

Has anyone heard of this condition?  I'm sorry but we forget what the vet called it.  What can we do to help him?

Any thought or comments would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Corrine and Michael and Snowy Bear