[Gpdd] CARE Eating Roses

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Jun 9 14:39:10 EDT 2009

Ellen,

My Rodentologists create a calendar each year as a fund raiser for their hospital and this year's theme is food. The page for February says the following:

" Guinea Pigs love fresh leaves and in particular those from Roses. They should not eat the flower but will happily chomp on the leaves and tender stems. They can be given occasionally as a treat but it is essential that they come only from a known source that is free from insecticide."

I had never considered giving my herd rose leaves and haven't tried them yet but it would seem that they are safe for piggies.

The rose is in the same genus as many fruits e.g. apple, pear, peach, cherry, plum, raspberry and strawberry but there around three and a half thousand plants in this family and I don't know if they are all edible!

Penny and the Piggyfriends.