[Gpdd] Misc: piggy lifespan

John Zimmer jez_84 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 10 03:08:57 EDT 2009

From: dogcatpiggymom at yahoo.com
To: gpdd at gpdd.org
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 18:45:03 -0700
Subject: [Gpdd] Misc: piggy lifespan

I met a woman that said she had a guinea pig who
lived to be 15 years old. I didn't want to think she was
untruthful, but I had never heard of such a thing. Could
it be possible?

Just wondering,
Joanne

Dear Joanne,

I have read that guinea pigs average life span is five to seven years. However, my first guinea pig, Brighteyes, was given to me when she was five years old or more already and I had her for over four years, so she was going on ten, herself, when I lost her.

My Vet said that the reason she lived as long as she did was because of all the love and the variety of foods I gave her, including (in the winter time) romaine, parsley, spinach, (plus in the summer time) ALL the dandelions, fresh timothy and grasses, clover and CHAMOMILE (one of her most favorites, VERY high in vitamin c) she could eat! Plus fresh fruits and vegetables like grapes, watermelon, raisins (not too much though), cucumbers (PEELED if waxed or heavily oiled), chopped celery, apples, pears, strawberries, etc. Anything she liked I gave her, if she didn't like it I didn't try it again, such as endive, which all the piggies I've had since absolutely love!.

The only thing I actually gave sparingly in her diet was parsley and spinach, because too much and the calcium content in them could cause kidney/bladder stones. But she always got a little of each every day because they also have vitamin c and iron, etc.

I have over 130-some photos posted at www.myspace.com/gossimer, mostly of Brighteyes and her/our BEST FRIEND, my dog Lady, who was heartbroken when Brighteyes left us. In the photos you can see Brighteyes and Lady enjoying romaine together, side by side. Lady loved the crunchy stems and veins of the romaine and Brighteyes loved the leafy part. Between them they could - and often DID - eat an entire head of romaine! :)

Anyway, sorry I got off topic, guinea pigs can definitely live longer than their average life span. And though I kind of also think that 15 years might be pushing it, who knows? I believe anything is possible! :)

None of my piggies since Brighteyes have seen as many years as she did, though I always hold out hope they will...at least live as long as I will. (Wishful wanting on my heart's part.)

Maybe I should get a parrot! But then, I'd have to worry about who would take care of him/her long after I'm gone, as THEY can live up to 90 years or more! LOL!!

John