[Gpdd] Misc: piggy lifespan

Melissa Taylor allcreatures at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 10 14:11:28 EDT 2009

Hi, Joanne!

I've owned guinea pigs for about 20 years now, since I was a little girl. None of mine have lived 15 years, though that would be wonderful. The longest-lived was almost nine when she passed away.

My concern with someone claiming to have had one for 15 years would be a couple things:

1) Did she keep track? So many of us don't keep track of when we get our pets (especially as children), so we don't have a genuine tally of their lifespan. For example, I had a goldfish my family believes lived about 13 years, but we didn't keep track of when the fish was obtained.

2) Did she know the species she had? Most people don't know what guinea pigs are! Maybe the new movie coming out by Disney will let people know. :) I've had so many people think they're a type of hamster when I mention having guinea pigs. An animal like a chinchilla can live about that long. Is it possible she got it confused with another type of animal?

But if she really did, then that's wonderful news for all of us! :)

Melissa
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/FAST/guineamag.html