[Gpdd] Misc: piggy life span

ME me at buddies.org
Thu Jun 11 05:26:07 EDT 2009

I've heard about the 15-year-old pig, though I've never had the
opportunity of having one.  I've had a little over two dozen piggies
(well, I still have six of those ... so I've had around 20 who've
passed on), and many have lived to be at least five and a few passed
their seventh birthday.  Right now, my two eldest are 5.5 ... and I
hope I have them much longer.

There seems to be problems that sometimes occur around the age of
three ... I've had several seemingly healthy pigs who suddenly start
losing weight at that time ... but with no other symptoms, the vet
was at a loss to find the cause ... all the tests came back normal.
Necropsies were inconclusive.  But if they pass their third birthday
without that unexplained weight loss, it seems they don't get it
later in life (at least I haven't experienced it).

No matter how long they live, though, I always wish we had more
time ... I'm sure I'd feel the same if I had one live to be 15.