[Gpdd] CARE: Piggies & Basil - yes or no?

jaaladog jaaladog at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 11 19:15:42 EDT 2009

Hello all,

It's been a long, rainy and kind of rough day for me emotionally, so after
the rain had stopped, I decided to go out back and check out my herb garden.
I have huge pots of thyme, parsley (for guess who), basil, lemon balm,
chives and bush green beans.

I put 3 different kinds of basil together in the same pot this year and boy,
have they flourished!  Which brings me to my question.

Some of the basil have a long cluster of flowers at the end, much like you
see on a butterfly bush.  Earl tells me they are purple and very pretty.
Out of curiosity, I offered it to the girls and they snatched it and ran.
After getting on my hands and knees to hunt the little monsters down, I took
it back, not sure whether it was bad for them or not.

I am also wondering about the lemon balm plant.  it smells like lemon and is
very leafy.  Anyone here have any ideas if they can have either of these two
plants?  They turn their nose up at thyme, I already tried that one.  :)
They do, however, love the leaves from my bell pepper plants.
Unfortunately, so do the bunnies that live under my house!

Thanks and hugs and whisker kisses from the girls and I,

Lynn, Samantha * Tabitha