[Gpdd] /Re: MISC - - Old animals

Andrew a1.mills at portset.net
Sat Jun 13 01:00:29 EDT 2009

I've also currently got a couple of quite old fish, but they're not goldfish.  I've got a striped talking catfish in my tropical fish tank who's been there now for 21 years.  We hardly ever see him, he spends most of his time hiding in a pipe, but occasionally he shows himself at food time to tell us he's still around!  I've also got a sailfin pleco (sucker mouth catfish) who I've had for 13 years.  He was pretty big when I got him so he could be quite a bit older than that.  We've also had our tortoise for about 27 years, but as a lot of people probably know tortoises can live for years.  We don't know how old she is, I don't think she's actually grown much since we got her so again she could be a lot older.  As far as guinea pigs go, our oldest ever was 7.  He was a grey and white sheltie (silky for those in the US) called Rascal.  I remember when mum got him in 1994 the box the pet shop put him in was huge.  She was walking around town with this huge box with this tiny ba!
 by guinea pig in and thinking that she'd have to go on the bus with this massive box, so she went into a shoe shop and asked the shop owner if he had a smaller box she could put the guinea pig in to bring him home.  Because of that we always called him our shoe box guinea pig.  I keep hoping one day to have another guinea pig reach a really old age, but unfortunately most seem to be lucky to make it to 5 or more.  My oldest currently will be 5 at the end of this year.  Who knows, maybe he'll be one of those lucky ones who'll ive to 8 or 9.