[Gpdd] VIRTUAL Roscoe to Barnacle Bill

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Jun 21 14:23:33 EDT 2009

Ahoy there matey!

Yes, I am on this adventure and waiting to greet you all at Indian Key. At my age, I do not think that I am up to splicing any mainbraces or climbing rigging but I want to join in the fun. While the other Piggyfriends and Hershey are off exploring the reefs, Gingerbread and I are staying at the camp to guard the food ( yum, yum ) and practice a few pirate expressions. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!! Pieces of eight ( or whole ones if you like )!

I can tell you about grog. Years and years ago, it was not safe to drink water on board ship as the contents of the barrels taken on board soon became slimy and horrible ( like our water bottles do if our Slaves forget to change them ) and the sailors became ill. So they were given a daily ration of beer instead. Later on rum was substituted for the beer but the sailors became drunk when they saved up their ration for a few days and drank it all at once.

So the rum was mixed with water and served twice a day. They added citrus juice to this to reduce the foulness of the water and this made the sailors healthier because of the Vitamin C ( just like us piggies, humans need Vit C every day ).

The word "grog" is said to come from the nickname of Admiral Vernon, who was called " Old Grog" from the cloak that he wore, made of a fabric called grogram.

Slave says that when her father was in the Royal Navy during the Second World War, sailors were still given their daily grog ration but that tradition has ended now. They get an extra can of beer each day instead.

Slave may not have been able to help us learn Piratespeak but she has read all of the Hornblower novels and knows a bit about British naval traditions ( even though she cannot sail ). It is surprising the amount of useless facts that our Slaves know, when all they need to be aware of is how to care for piggies.

Scanning the horizon for the Pearl ( that telescope came in handy ).

Roscoe Piggyfriend.