[Gpdd] MISC: Poor pig in a pet store

Sarah Erickson sarah19e at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 19:33:20 EDT 2009

Well, one of my co-workers had visited a local pet store just to
see what they had, and she was very upset about a sick-looking
guinea pig.  She said the pig was missing patches of fur, and
had red, scabby-looking sores.  Since she knows that I have a
guinea pig, she told me about it.  I went to the store this
afternoon to go check it out.

Sure enough, I see the poor piggy.  A little white
Abyssinian (housed with bunnies and other pigs *sigh*).  He
was missing a lot of fur, and had some raw-looking sores.  An
employee saw me by the pen, and asked if he could help me.  I
said, "Can you tell me what's wrong with this guinea pig?"

He hesitated a moment, then said, "Oh, he has dry skin."  I
told him I didn't buy that.  I think the poor pig has mites or
a fungal issue.  So he starts arguing with me.  He said
that "all white animals, even dogs and cats, have this problem (dry
skin)".  Does he think I took a stupid pill this
morning?  I basically told him that's a load of crap...that
I've known PLENTY of white animals, and none looked like
that.  So then he back-pedaled and said, "I didn't say ALL
white animals!", to which I replied, "yes, you did".

SO...then he said, "well, that's what the vet said when he was
here last week."  I asked him if I could see the vet
paperwork.  Well, what do you know?  He couldn't produce
it.  He said, "Oh, the vet was just here to look at the
dogs."  So then I asked how I could know for certain if the
vet had seen the pig, and he said he would get the papers.  At
that point, a customer walked in, and he turned his back on me to
help her.  I stood there waiting for a while longer, and
finally looked at the other employee and said, "well, I guess he
can't provide the paperwork" and left.  I saw someone walking
in as I left and informed him that the place has a sick animal.

SO...I have a question for all of you.  Have any of you, in
your experience, EVER heard of white animals being prone to dry
skin?  I've known white dogs, cats, bunnies, AND piggies, and
have never ever heard of this.  If there's any truth to it,
please tell me.

I really think he's got mites or a fungal infection, which could
be contagious to the other pigs (and maybe bunnies?) in the
pen.  Even if it is just dry skin, obviously the poor piggy is
in distress, as he has open sores.  He needs treatment.
I'm planning on calling animal control on them unless anyone has a
good reason not to.  I wish I could take him, but I really
can't, and I'm worried about whatever he has being contagious.

Thoughts, anyone?