[Gpdd] HEALTH: White pets

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 23 21:54:51 EDT 2009

The only skin problem I know of in white animals, be they horses, cats, or piggies, is the predisposition to skin cancer IF they receive too much sun. Besides, dry skin doesn't create sores; it causes flaking. My suspicion is that the poor little tyke is being munched or overgroomed by the bunnies. Back when I didn't know any better, I kept Vrie with a bun who adored her, so much so that she groomed all the fur off above her eyes. I thought it was mites or ringworm! It was bunny love! Sadly, I had to separate them. Abby's situation sounds like a crowded cage, and that would make it worse.
I pray someone can come to the abby's rescue!! I've never been able to resolve the "Should I pay money to rescue an animal, thereby paying their torturers to keep on torturing?" issue. If I see abuse and I'm in the position to get an animal to safety, I'd be severely tempted to do so. You can't save the world, I've decided, but you can change what goes on in your sphere of experience. Whether that entails enabling those who traffic in animals (to save an individual) or in boycotting in an attempt to shut them down and save many, I'm glad I haven't had to make that call so far. Like you, I'm not in the position, space- or time-wise to take on another critter right now.
You might want to get some photos of the poor, bedraggled animal before contacting the Humane Society. Otherwise, the piggie might conveniently "disappear." Include his cagemates in the picture and any signs on the cage for ID purposes. Most stores do keep records of their sales, though. If you're doing this, please don't clue the pet store in to what you're up to. I want to see them get CAUGHT off guard.
Joanie