[Gpdd] Health: Toby's toofies/abscess

Glynis Robson Glynis at garnay.com.au
Tue Jun 23 23:49:27 EDT 2009

Oh Mikey i'm sorry to hear just how much more complicated this has
become :o(

OK a few points, yes it's fine for them to have the gas and do their
toofies, Dukey had this done for a loooooooong time and never had to
have injectable.
Mind you Brendan got very adapt at doing his molars and any other work
all done in 15mins at most and that was from the moment he was taken
from me to coming back to me!  He'd be groggy but they learnt that he
preferred to wake up in my arms.

And YES toofies can change so quickly in 2 weeks.  It really sounds (and
i'm no expert at all, just from experiece) that it's all related to each
other.  Abscesses can start at the roots of the toofies and they can be
from the bone too.  With the ones i dealt with over the years (and we
had a few diff types SIGH) as long as they were lanced and kept open if
necessary and flushed a couple of times daily they'd go away and not
return.....BUT saying this some are more difficult than others.  I found
the one related to a top molar was a shocker to get rid of........lots
of TLC and medication over many many weeks.
If you have to keep his wound open make sure you squeeze at the back of
the abscess so the puss comes out.....try not to squeeze too close to
the wound as it can make the puss sit back into the wound.  I'm sure
they'll give you antibiotics and some antibiotic or other liquid to
flush out the wound, it's not pleasant and Toby wont like this part or
the squeezing, reassure him the whole time you're doing it and once
finished a BIG snuggle with him and treats and they do seem to be
happier.  I'm sure abscesses make them feel yukky i bet the 'puss' etc..
must leave an umpleasant taste in their mouths :o(
I also found that sometimes Duke would go off his harder veggies im'
sure this was cause the pressure of the abscess was making his toofies
and jaw sore, keep offering all foods, but perhaps chop up a bit smaller
so that he continues to use his toofies as you know if they don't you
then get the problem of them growing over!

If he doesn't really like his critical care, could you moisten up some
of his pellets and feed those to him?  Most of the good brands have lots
of good ingredients etc.. that are essential to their diet.  I used to
serve up CC with baby apple puree added to sweeten up the taste of the
CC and it made it a bit smoother and easier to syringe feed or hand feed
off spoon.

Whee all will keep our paws crossed for our dear little friend, give him
lots of hugs and chin tickles from me and the girls send him lots of
mini kisses
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Poor Chico he too is sad, please give him loves, tickles and mini kisses
as well xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Love
Glynis, Velvet and Onyx (in mem Sully and Duke) xxxx