[Gpdd] HEALTH: Bladder Stones and Urinary Bladder Distention *RED ALERT*

DaPiggyPirates at aol.com DaPiggyPirates at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 03:31:13 EDT 2009

Dear Corrine and Michael,

     I know that the two of you are first rate piggy parents. BUT...I would
not be massaging the penis of a boar who is retaining urine. Some vets are
able to express (right word?spelling?) the urine in the bladder by putting
gentle pressure on the bladder which is near the bottom of the tummy and just
above the genitals. However, the bladder can be ruptured in this way even
by an experienced person. It is not a pleasant way for a piggy to die. So
please, don't try it!

     Neither would I be using a vibrator to shake things loose. You don't
know how much discomfort you might be causing little Snowy Bear. However, I
admit, in theory it sounds like a good idea. But don't take the chance.

     As for syringing water if he is not passing urine, STOP!!!! Again, you
don't want his bladder to rupture. That is a very bad death. Even an overly
full bladder can be miserable beyond description. I can attest to this from
personal experience. So if the little guy isn't urinating, quit syringing
water into him. And give him matacam for the pain/discomfort. A dose might
help the little guy.

     I'm surprised that the catheter the vet used didn't dislodge the
blockage, but you don't want it being pushed back in his bladder. But all means,
DO let the vet drain his bladder.

     As for bladder stones, I'd say that a stone is the probably cause of
the blockage, but I'm not a vet. My own little Capt'n Jack, barely over a
year old has a bladder stone and had a nasty UTI because of it. Right now he's
fine, but I truly fear what the future holds. I've lost (helped) two piggies
to the Bridge already because of bladder stones. And that little bunching
up thing they do is pain while (unsuccessfully) trying to pass urine.

     In one recent case (not with one of my piggies) the piggy's bladder
was so swollen that it put pressure against the colon and the piggy couldn't
pass her poos either. So please, heed my warnings.

     You may come down to a decision between surgery and helping Snowy Bear
to the Bridge. Or you may have surgery and he will still cross over to the
Bridge. Or he'll recover and do amazingly well. That (making such a
decision) is speculation on my part but not unfounded.

     But the inability to pass urine when he's had liquids really presents
a true emergency situation.

     I wish you and Snowy Bear all the best and it does sound like you have
a decent vet. Discuss these things with her. And again, I do so hope that
all goes well.

Regards,
Alge