[Gpdd] MISC: Snowy Bear sent me a gift

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 28 06:02:30 EDT 2009

On Saturday morning, Michael and I were discussing on when to leave to drop off Snowy Bear at the vet's.  We were debating.  I love the flower pot idea and we do have a stillborn gp baby in one, but all our others have been put in little 'tins.'  I just call them that, whether they are in a tin or not.  I cannot say certain words.

Anyway, we heard a loud THUD! so I asked Michael, what was that?  He said he thinks a bird hit the window.  So he looked out the window onto our lanai and there was a baby dove (Hawaii has zebra doves) on the sofa on the lanai.  I asked how it was and he said it's moving its head so it must be okay.  We kept looking outside and it would move around on the sofa.  We left and dropped off Snowy Bear (always one of the hardest things to do, I cried so much that my eyes became more swollen than they already were).  When we returned we looked outside again and the baby dove was still there.

Now, when I get severely depressed, and I do mean severely, like now, I want to sleep all the time, and I usually go into such deep sleeps that it's difficult to wake me from them, so I was planning on returning and then sleeping until who knows when.

So, we see the baby dove, so we go out onto the lanai and I carefully picked it up and put it on the table.  We got some food that we had (I'd gotten it for the piggies then decided it wasn't 'good enough' for them) and we tried to make the bird eat.  We even got some grainy bread.  But the bird just sat there.  It eventually walked around the table so I said well at least your feet are okay!  But then it tried to fly off the table and that's when it fell to the floor.  So we don't know if it's too young to fly or if its wings are hurt.  I'm not a doctor so I can only say the wings 'look' okay and if it couldn't fly how did it hit the window?

Anyway, it 'thumps!' to the ground off the lanai so Michael ran to go get it for it was lying on its side.  Michael righted it and it ran away.  We live in a place where there are lots of bushes and rocks and such (we recently moved here and haven't landscaped yet) so it hid under a rock.  Michael called me as he couldn't reach it.  He lifted this big rock and the baby dove was sort of stuck under a root or something so I carefully lifted him and carried him inside.

Now, we're unprepared.  I haven't had a bird (I had parakeets many years ago) for a long time.  So now I look skyward, smile and say, 'Snowy Bear! you knew mommy was going to sleep herself into a coma!  So you sent me this baby bird to take care of!!'  So off we were to the store to get supplies for the baby dove.  And ever since then we've been busy taking care of it.  I know they need food regularly.  We were trying by eye dropper but no success.  So after we got the food and food container, it seems to be eating on its own.  I mean, it's pooping more now, so we assume it's eating.

Baby birds from the wild normally don't last too long.  And I am surprised at how tame this one is.  Probably because it's a baby.  So time will tell.  But bottom line is, now I know that my precious little boy, Snowy Bear, is looking out for his mommy.  I love you Snowy Bear!  And I always will.  You are a part of my heart.

Love, mommy corrine