[Gpdd] HEALTH Blossom's ovarian cyst

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Mar 1 05:09:45 EST 2009

Hi Corrine and Blossom,

I thought that Michael had spelled Blossom's name wrong but copied his spelling anyway. We have a member called Corinne, same name, different spelling to your own so one never knows!

Have you read the piece on GuineaLynx about ovarian cysts? They say that one can Xray for them. http://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

Your vet is right that piggies have thick skins but our Rodentologist never has any trouble giving a shot. Mind you, he sees piggies all day and every day and has more experience with them than most vets.

As your vet is so inexperienced with piggies, I am afraid that I would not trust her to go ahead with the surgery.

I have mentioned her before in connection with ovarian cysts but my piggy, Posy, had these years ago. My then vet, although a brilliant surgeon, was reluctant to do such major surgery on a middle aged piggy. I didn't know then about the HCG - it may not have even been available in those days. So I decided to leave well alone. Posy had to be separated from her group as she was forever mounting the other girls, particularly her sister, Rochelle, and annoying them but she lived to a good old age.

Posy had the thinning hair on both flanks just like Blossom.

GL recommends this vet in Hawaii but I do not know where he is compared to your home. I only know that there are several islands. http://www.guinealynx.info/cabinet/index.php/Veterinarians_Hawaii

Hope that this is some help.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.