[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] Peter Gurney Memorial March 9th

William Farmer wf at hartsville.net
Sun Mar 1 22:54:55 EST 2009

Dear GPDDer's,

It is time for our 4th annual "Light for Peter Gurney" candle lighting event
on Monday, March 9th, 2009.

This is a "real" event--not virtual, and everyone is invited to light a real
candle on March 9th, at 8:00 pm your local time, in remembrance of Peter
Gurney and all of the guinea pigs who are now with him at the Rainbow
Bridge.  Peter Gurney was a tireless advocate for guinea pigs.  He wrote
many of the books that remain our best sources of information, and he was
probably the best guinea pig authority and advocate in the world.  He passed
away from cancer on July 1, 2006, in Great Britain.

March 9th was his birthday, and we have held this candle ceremony each year
since 2006, in his honor, and for our individual piggies who are no longer
with us.  Basically, all you need to do is to light a candle on the evening
of March 9th, and the lightings in his honor will move around the world.  We
will post a listing of all the places where a candle was lit.

This year we'll try something new:  We'll post a global map image, with each
place identified, where a candle was lit for Peter Gurney.  Let us know if
you lit a candle.  Tell us where you are, so we can include your spot on the
map.  Look for the map to be posted on the GPDD website sometime around
March 16th.

So, mark your calendars for MARCH 9th, and let's see if we can get lots of
candles lit !

If anyone has ideas on how to expand or improve upon our world-wide coverage
of this event, please let me know.  The more, the better!

Audrey and Will, slave and co-slave to Master Gordon
(Remembering Reese at the Bridge)