[Gpdd] [CARE] Who cares for our piggys if we pass away

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Mar 15 16:54:09 EDT 2009

To Everyone,
I live in Tampa Florida. However, I am a long time member of the
Cambridge Cavy Trust and Guinea Pig Hospital and my husband is British.
It is through a wonderful 82 year old friend of ours who lives in
Cornwall, UK that we found out about the Cinnamon Trust after her 17
year old dog died.
http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/home.html
The trust takes guinea pigs.
I am looking for a similar type of organization here in Florida.
Currently we have a codicil to our Will along with a trust fund set up
for our cavies. Our friends (trustees) have told us that they would take
care of our piggys until they die a natural death if both my husband and
I should die together or be unable to care for them. However, in the
codicil our friends  can also choose to give our piggys to the Society
for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Tampa Bay (SPCA) along with
the trust fund money and let the SPCA rehome them. We are also long time
members of the SPCA. It is not an ideal situation. I would much rather
belong to an organization like the RSPCA Home for Life or the Cinnamon
Trust. Even though I am 52 and my husband is 50, none of us know when we
will die.  I carry a wallet card that says I have animals at home. I
also have a sticker on the door to my home that states that there are
animals inside. Luckily we live in a neighborhood where we know our
neighbors, we look out for each other and one of them even piggy sits
for us. But even with our preparations for our cavies I still do not
feel totally comfortable about the arrangements. I would love to know
what other piggy slaves are doing about this matter.

Sincerely, Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville Tampa Florida USA