[Gpdd] Health: Baby Bear

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Sun Mar 22 23:35:00 EDT 2009

Dear John,

     With your Little Bear, it could be a combination of a UTI in conjunction
with a vitamin C deficiency. You did say that you'd had her x-rayed for a
bladder stones, didn't you? UITs can also cause that bleeding. Vitamin C
deficiency can cause problems with the hind legs (and a score of other problems) but
others know more of that than I do. There is also the possibiity of a stroke.
Obviously I'm not a vet.

     I'm bothered by the way you feel -- your concern that she won't make it.
Sometimes I've felt that kind of intuition to be quite accurate. I hope that
is not the case with you. I've also at times worried prematurely, as when
Barnacle Bill had his UTI. In spite of the fact that he was only a few months old,
I had him x-rayed immediately. There was no stone present (huge relief) so he
was treated with antibiotics. He was   fine after that but had one slight
instance of bleeding about a month after his treatment. That seriously scared me,
but it was a one time thing and the little guy has been fine ever since. He
was a rescue pig, taken from an abusive situation tho he was just a little guy
when I got him.

     I guess your concern concerns me. I hope you email me and tell me that
all is well with your little Baby Bear.

     You are in a difficult situation - is she suffering and will she
continue to? Or can she be made well? I hope your vet advises you well. After trying
to prolong life and feeling that I had ended up causing animals far worse
suffering, such decisions generally represent a terrible dilemma for me. Sometimes
I know the right answer but sometimes I do not.

     Certain dreadful experiences have caused me to adopt the philosophy
"better too early than too late."   But a year ago Dec. I made the decision to
help one of my little guys to the Bridge and still wish I'd tried just a little
longer. But as I think back to all the details, I believe that I actually did
make the right decision. Were I to have waited until it was absolutely clear
that Chester was suffering more and more...well, I wanted to prevent that. He
was suffering and his symptoms increasing in spite of visits to the vet.
Ah...but still... So the point of this e-mail/post is to let you know that I can
intimately relate to what you're going thru. And so can most of the other members
here. We always try to second guess ourselves and know how hard it is to make
the right decision.

     Take her into the vet, then follow that inner voice of yours as well as
the vet's opinion. If she needs to be helped to the bridge and your vet is
going to use an injection, (as opposed to a preferable   gas anesthesia) make
CERTAIN that she first totally sedates her to the point of Little Bear being
unconscious. This is vital and if the vet thinks its not necessaary, insist. It
took Chester 25 minutes to be completely unconscious. Reason for wanting them
sedated to the point of unconsciousness? Because of their tiny veins, "the shot"
is a shot straight into their little hearts. But if they are unconscious
first, they don't feel that and all goes well.

     I truly hope it will all go well with her and for you.

God bless and prayers included,
Alge

Note to all: new email addresses:   algegps at yahoo.com    (lower case)    and:
Rat on a Mac at aol.com     (not case sensitive)      My current email box over
floweth and keeps returning mail to my friends.