[Gpdd] Update on Baby Bear

John Zimmer jez_84 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 23 14:38:38 EDT 2009

Dear Alge (and everyone),

Thank you so much for your response and your prayers. Baby Bear is still with us, thank God. After going to http://www.guinealynx.info/ and reading up on possible causes of bleeding and paralysis, I'm thinking Baby Bear may well have a UTI, even though she's never had such a problem before there's always a first time. The paralysis I don't think is caused by any vitamin deficiencies, as they have a steady and varied diet that's highly nutrious. (When Brighteyes passed on at just under 10 years, my Vet said it was because of her diet and the love she received that gave her such a long life. The average life span for guinea pigs is five to seven years.)

Saturday, I did call the Vet and updated her on what's been happening. She agreed it may well be a UTI that's causing the bleeding, so I went and picked up seven prefilled syringes of Baytril, one to be injected under the skin for seven days.

I just gave Baby Bear her third injection a short time ago, and she is much perkier than she had been! The bleeding seems to have stopped and the paralysis is almost totally gone, as well! I set her down on the carpet in the living room so she and Precious, my "cat dog" - half long haired Chihuahua half dachshund - could have some fun time together, and in spite of some lingering stiffness in her hind legs she walked and hopped around very well; much to Precious' delight! (If we could attach photos to be posted, as well, I would have done so.)

Thank you for your thoughts and continued prayers, they are greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

John

P.S. I understand what you mean, Alge, about the euthanization process, and I agree completely. When I had to say goodbye to my dog Lady, even though I knew it was the best thing and the right time for her, it was still the hardest decision I've ever had to make.

The same with my guinea pig, Henry, when he suffered a broken back. Both times our Vet gave them an injection to sedate them, before administering the "Euthanal", which was given intravenously to Lady, and directly into Henry's heart. Both times I know they went peacefully to the Bridge, while my heart was breaking.

As for Baby Bear, I don't know if my "feeling" is/was a premonition, probably more just the dread of an inevitable possibility. If/When the time comes in the future for all my animals, I, too, feel as you do, "better too early than too late."

It is a very difficult decision, wondering if you've done all you could have done, not wanting them to suffer, etc. In the end, hard as it may be, I know the best thing is what I would want in their place, PEACE.

I'll keep you posted on Baby Bear's continued progress. :) My thanks, thoughts and prayers to all of you!