[Gpdd] Silly: Guiny is turning 5!!

Mieke Staaks pandameisje at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 19:23:25 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm very happy to announce that Guiny has reached the respectable age of 5
years old!!
I remember getting her years ago in April 2004, My mother bought her for me,
to join my other little girl
 (who I had from my mothers boyfriend after my boar Winky died on the 5th of
March that year)
Lotje. She had bought her, because they thought she was so pretty, and
because she suspected i'd wanted a companion for Lotje.
And they were right, eventhough Guiny was 'just' a smoothhaired piggie (I
got a weak spot for rexes and teddies), she was and still is gorgeous.
And that lovely smile of hers makes her even more amiable. (see her as Pet
of the day: http://petoftheday.com/archive/2008/October/12.html )

At first she was the little one, being overpowered by Lotje. Lotje even once
stuck her nose under Guiny's tummy and threw her of my bed...
But they soon got attached to each other, and when one was not around the
other would go looking for her.
Guiny soon become boss, and with that she became the heaviest. But
eventhough Lotje was not boss,
she would make sure nothing would happen to her (lotje) that she did not
like.

Whereas Lotje seemed to be a simple soul, and would just about do anything
to get food.
Guiny turned out to be smart piggie. We first noticed that when we gave the
girls one carrot.
Lotje started eating it on one end, and Guiny sat next to her as close as
possible, and gnawed through the carrot,
and ran away with that big piece!! She would also come for a piece of
cucumber, run to her house, and come back again for another piece!
She understands how a door works, She seems to look at a door evaluating
what to do, and they will take the appropriate action to open a door that is
open a bit.

Guiny likes special foods, she likes sandwiches and toast (the other ate it
because she does), and all kinds of toast. I currently have an improved kind
of pellets for the girls
and Science selective. All piggies love science, but Guiny apparently
prefers the improved pellets. Eventhough all the piggies at the shelter are
not huge fans and the guy at the pet shop
told me the retailer said it was not liked by most piggies!

Later on when I lived with my sister Janneke, Suus was added. Guiny and Suus
needed some time to get adjusted to each other,
whereas Lotje turned out to be a natural mother (even more for Janneke's
second addition Yaya).
Guiny and Suus, would roam the living room together and stole my sandwich
from the matress in the living room once.
She also did that once when she was on the table with my sandwich, she
looked so proud of herself.
Suus and Guiny once got in a real fight, from which Guiny ended up with a
big scar on her nose (which healed perfectly)...
Since they have not been living together for such a long time, they cannot
have floortime together anymore, but still like to chat through the bars
when together.
Jan the boar, loved Guiny. Guiny would actually treat him like crap, but for
some reason he stil adored her!
I guess Igor never really got anything to do with Guiny, i don't think we
could put them together without them having a fight...
Getting Guiny and Dunya to get along was also pretty hard. I remember Dunya
wanting to be with the girls, but whenever I put them in the run together,
Guiny would 'attack', chattering and having puffs of white Dunya hair in her
mouth! Luckily they got along after a while.
When Lotje died (almost a year ago now), Guiny was very upset and Guiny and
Dunya get more attached to each other, though real hierarchy/roles was/were
hard to determine...
When we added Woopy that changed the group dynamics for the better. Woopy
had little trouble getting accepted.
Guiny did chatter at Woopy and tried to bite her once, so we put Guiny in a
separate cage (from which she could see Dunya and Woopy) for one night.
After that she never been unkind to woopy again. To me that proves, Guiny
understood why I put her in the cage alone... She is a smart piggy!
Here's a link of them all playing in our kitchen:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pandameisje/PettingZooGuinyDunyaWoopyChicoTobySuusYayaIgor?feat=directlink

Guiny used to be a very scared piggy, from that she turned into this
independant bossy piggy who did not like to be cuddled.
It seems that with the years she has gotten softer/sweeter and even loves to
cuddle now! She has also lost some weight, and we expect she is not the
alpha
piggy anymore.  But she still seem to be a healthy piggy, her biggest
problems were ovarian cysts and a few months ago the discovery of some lumps
on her tummy.
Luckily the Ovarian cysts ceased to bother her, and the lumps were just
fatty lumps!

I will add Guiny to the SCAMPS site when I have the time, If anyone else
likes to add their SCAMPS piggies of 5 years and older (living or deceased)
to the site, let me know.
Please send me an email about your piggy and if you have it attach a
pigture! See the site at: http://scamps-gpdd.blogspot.com/
(so if you'd like to have Midnight added let me know! I could post a pigture
of him as well)

Well I guess this is long enough. Guiny is my first piggy to have reached
the magical age of five. I hope she will stay around a lot longer...
and of course I hope my other piggies reach this age as well!

Best wishes to you all, and have an extra carrot, all the piggies over the
world!
Slave Mikey
the Winky girls:
the birthday girl: Guiny
Dunya and Woopy
and my valentines: Chico (nearing LAPS weight!) and Toby
pandameisje at gmail.com
pandameisje at hotmail.com

Blog: http://pandameisje.hyves.nl
Cavia website: www.guinygirlz.nl