[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Inner Ear Infections

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Mon Mar 30 11:02:12 EDT 2009

I am doing research on inner ear infections in cavies. This type of
infection is characterized by the cavy tilting its head to one side and
often having balance problems. There may or may not be any discharge of
liquid or pus into the outer ear canal. As a member of the Cambridge
Cavy Trust and Guinea Pig Hospital, I know that Vedra Stanley Spatcher
recommends the antibiotic pediatric Septrin also known as Bactrim, or
trimethoprim-sulfa. The dose in 0.5 ml orally, twice a day for 10-14
days. She also recommends Rimadyl also known as carpofen 5 mg twice a
day for the duration of the antibiotics. Rimadyl may also need to be
given for a week after the antibiotics are finished. Rimadyl is a
non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It is used to treat pain
and inflammation. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has
information on the treatment of inner ear infections and the outcome of
the treatment.

Thank you, Ann Evans