[Gpdd] HEALTH Pancake

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri May 15 04:27:33 EDT 2009

Kelly.

I am so sorry that Pancake is in trouble again.

One of my Piggyfriends look like he will become a permanent syringe feeder due to tooth problems which have left him with undershot incisors, which need clipping every week.

Some of the mixtures that I make up for him could well be available only in England but here are some of the things he likes.

Complan - an instant food for invalids that comes in many flavours.

Readybrek - an instant porridge that he enjoys mixed with some warm water ( probably his favourite ).

Mashed banana - in good health he never liked banana but I think that he appreciates it now that it comes via a syringe.

Supreme Science Selective pellets softened in nearly boiling water ( to preserve the Vit C therein ) mixed with an equal part of either instant mashed potato or more Readybrek. You could use any pelleted food that Pancake likes.

The original CCT ( Cambridge Cavy Trust ) recipe of chinchilla grass pellets softened in hot water mixed with an equal part of instant mash. I use this one when I take him to work with me as it keeps its consistency whereas the Selective pellets deteriorate into a soupy mix after a while and is messy to feed when in a client's house!

I pulverise an assortment of veggies/fruits until they are of a consistency to go up the syringe but too many of these cause very soft droppings as he is not getting enough roughage due to his inability to eat hay.

There are many baby foods that piggies like. Although my boy loves carrots, he does not like the carrot baby food for some reason but there are lots of other veggie/fruit ones from which to choose. The apple and banana one seems to be in favour.

I finish each meal with a drink of water mixed with a small piece of a soluble Vit C tablet.

Could you liquidise some apple and add it to the Critical Care? Or maybe some unsweetened apple juice? Just a thought.

Sending our very best wishes to Pancake.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.