[Gpdd] Health: Bladder Stones and Pain

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Wed May 20 02:47:32 EDT 2009

I'm concerned about your piggy living in a state of pain. Unless something
is done soon, it very well may get worse. And then what are you going to go
when every 10 or 15 minutes your little one contracts and wheeeks out in
pain in the middle of the night and there's nothing you can do? I hope it
doesn't come to this; I hope there is something that can be done first.
     Is surgery an option? We've had different outcomes here. But if you go
that route have an experienced GP savvy vet do the surgery. And know that
she still might not make it.
     Does she have a UTI together with her stones (multiple -- 3 of them?
Oh, you poor dears!). If she has a UTI, having that treated might make a
difference, but if all fails, God forbid, then sometimes we must love our pets
enough to not permit them to suffer and be in pain. There are general
anesthesia gases that can be used to put a piggy to sleep (to have them humanely
euthanized) (others will supply the names of these). If you are faced with the
injection to the heart, have the vet first give her a sedative -- enough to
render her completely unconscious, and only then allow the vet to give the
fatal injection. Hold her and love her through out the procedure.
     I've been through this more than once and know first hand the
heartbreak of it, so I am not unsympathetic to your plight, but I am concerned about
a piggy living in a state of pain. What about when she urinates? Is that
painful. Is there blood?
     If you come up with a solution or something holistic, share it here.
My Capt'n Jack has a stone and though he's back to being himself now (he also
had a UTI and was passing all kinds of blood the like of which I've never
seen before in a GP) I have great fears about his future. Every healthy day
of his life is a gift and he's only a year old. Far too young for a stone.
     It seems like I am always the one to mention that this may be a
possibility that you'll have to consider, but we so often try to keep them alive,
because we love them of course, that we wait until they are truly suffering
greatly. I have come to the conclusion "better to soon that too late" when
it comes to the subject of euthanasia. Then I come here and cry about it. And
my friends here offer me support.

God bless,
Alge

     (I'll be getting back to those of you who have contacted me with info
and suggestions. And thank you all.)