[Gpdd] HEALTH Metaclopramide Okay for Pigs?

bunzella at yahoo.ca bunzella at yahoo.ca
Wed May 20 17:56:45 EDT 2009

Penny, thanks so much for this information --- it's exactly what I needed to know.
It's reassuring that I'm not giving her something that could harm her, but I must admit I'm still a little doubtful about this course of action.  Maybe I am not familiar enough with signs of gas in piggies, but would Doris be eating most things and behaving relatively normally if she was suffering from gas?  Don't piggies always have a certain amount of gas in their digestive systems?  And if gas *is* the problem, shouldn't we be looking for the cause of the gas to eliminate it, rather than just treating the gas?  (This is where it would be so nice to have an expert piggie vet or rodentologist whose diagnostic skills I trust without question!)

Added to these doubts is the fact that the metaclopromide certainly did not made Doris feel any better.  I realize she had had quite a traumatic day, but when I got home from work last night, she was much more quiet than she had been (really beforehand, she wasn't eating many pellets but in most other respects, she was behaving quite normally).  When Doris is herself, she is Boss Pig, while Audrey definitely had the upper hand last night!  She seemed a bit perkier this morning, thank goodness, but still quite subdued for Doris.

For the moment, I have cut out the lettuce entirely and will give that a few days to see if it helps.  I honestly can't decide whether to keep giving her the prescription or not; it doesn't make sense to me to give her drugs that aren't helping her...

                                       Befuddled Pat