[Gpdd] HEALTH: cranberry juice and uti's

ann_sadoian at sbcglobal.net ann_sadoian at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 22 18:49:00 EDT 2009

hi Shweta (I hope I spelled your name right)--

I hope there are others out there who have helped me in the past and would be interested to know how Dart has fared since I last "talked" with you guys (maybe in December or so--hard to remember as life is so busy!).

Dart had recurring problems during November and December especially with sharp pain and bleeding when she pee'ed, if memory serves me correctly. She was treated with baytril initially, but the urinary tract infection came right back about two weeks after completing her course of treatment. Then another vet in the practice suggested another antiobiotic--some of you may remember the antiobiotic that is used for horses, but he would stir it up in a dose small enough for a piggy. She did well for a time after trying this antiobiotic, but then the infection/pain/bleeding recurred. We tried baytril again, but I had to take her off immediately because she got WORSE, and I thought I might lose her. I believe it may have been the baytril that caused such a sharp turn for the worse. Anyways, the same dr. who had initially prescribed the horse med put her back on it, and as soon as we completed the two week course, I started using 100% cranberry juice mixed with
 some water daily--maybe about 2/3 juice to 1/3 water--I don't think it really matters much. Dart lives with her sister, and they both love their cranberry, but I would say they drink 1-1 1/2 oz of juice daily on average. The great news is: since beginning the use of the juice, she has never had a severe recurrence and has never bled. Occasionally I will hear a tiny cry when she pees, but she's tremendously improved. So I plan on continuing using cranberry juice for the remainder of their lives. It CAN be expensive, but I don't care--as long as it helps. Knudsen's costs $9 or so for a 48 oz bottle. Other name brands are not so expensive--all seem to work quite well, although the Knudsen's does seem more rich, so I buy it some of the time, despite the atronomical price. I would highly recommend cranberry juice as a maintenance/preventive kind of therapy.

I hope some of you who helped me read this--Evelyn, Jeri Lynn, Pat, Cindy, Penny, Jaime, Joe & Dee, Linda Sanchez. I'm sure you guys would be interested to know that cranberry juice can help!

By the way, I would highly recommend the horse antibiotic--it's the only one that's worked for an extended time for Dart. It is called Tucoprom, and I can refer you to my vet if you would like more info on how to use it with piggies.

Ann in CT
Dart, Feather, Gizmo & Tessie