[Gpdd] HEALTH: Oral Thrush

Julie Juwles Johnson juwles at bigpond.com
Wed May 27 08:06:54 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline & all GPDD'ers,

I've lots of experience of piggies with oral thrush.   My Archie suffered severely with it, and I was able to cure it myself by getting hold of some Nilstat Oral Drops (humans use them - me too), and I gave him 1ml orally via syringe, then using a different syringe/cotton swabs I dabbed it all over the outside of his lips/mouth, which were all lumpy & sore.

Then I realised that Archie was spreading the thrush back to himself - when piggies clean themselves they always use their little feet and wipe them over their faces, etc.       So, I put the Nilstat drops on to his feet as well.   Within a week he was clear of the thrush, and I really thought that, him being so sick he'd never get over the Thrush, let alone all the other things happening with his health.      At least I was able to give him some peace by curing the thrush.

I also used to use Daktarin Oral Gel on his lips too - didn't hurt to use the gel at all, and apparently it's very palatable to piggies (it's made for babies).     I suspect that because he had bad oral thrush, that may have been the beginning of his downfall - his mouth was sore, he couldn't eat properly, his teeth grew funny, the molars overgrew, etc etc.

I honestly & totally believe if I'd just treated Archie's oral thrush in my own way, without the intervention of dental vets, vets who didn't know anything about piggies, etc., that I could have saved my angel's malocclusion problems.   I sincerely believe that, but of course it's all in hindsight, but good to know for my 9 new boys.

Good luck with your treatment of your beloved Artie,

Wheeks, squeaks & cuddles,
Julie and her herd of 9 boys

{remembering my darlings - Muppet, Teddy, Dougall, Archie and Brandy forever in my heart and soul - desperately & despairingly missed)

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it