[Gpdd] health: herbie update

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed May 27 13:48:24 EDT 2009

I'm sure you know this but just to be sure to use unsweetened cranberry
juice. You can freeze it in partially filled ice cube trays, and reseal in
another container, and just defrost what you need for each feeding. Just an
idea, but if you can find an unsweetened concentrate maybe you could mix the
metacam with it for the reasons I discuss below.

Metacam is an NSAID and is the very mildest on the stomach, many bunnies and
piggies are on it for months and years at a time with no usually no untoward
effects. See if your vet can give you a bottle that will last awhile. Also I
have seen it on the $4 people drug lists as a tablet on low cost pharmacies
like Wal-Mart. I wonder if a mashed pill dissolved in water would be as easy
to give as the liquid I imagine your doc is using. I have heard the vet
version is very vile tasting, maybe the pill is less so. Also you can go to
compounding pharmacies and have it mixed and dispensed with a cherry or
banana flavor, be sure to avoid the meat flavored one used for dogs and cats
www.DrsFosterSmith.com are a compounding pharmacy online as well as 1800
petmeds
I would keep him on white towels with just litter in a corner, there is a
white, anti allergenic Carefresh product, that will show the blood very well
if he is passing any.   If he has an attack and is in more pain than the
Metacam can handle, then the Tramadol would be used, but I dont know if they
can be used together, ask your vet if he hasn't already said, if he did say
let us know. Tramadol is a different drug than either an NSAID or an Opoid,
look here and notice that for people it is available as a sublingual tablet,
that is one that dissolves instantly in the mouth and is absorbed under the
tongue, this would make it fast acting, the article also says Tramadol is
less likely to cause constipation than opoids, a good thing, but to be very
careful about overdosage.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol

Any info your vet gave you about the surgery, while not appropriate for your
baby, would interest our member Alge or algernon07 at aol.com  as she has a
young pig with stones who may be facing the surgery

I hope this is helpful, good luck to Herbie   Sandy and Li'l Pig, soon to
have a pirate name