[Gpdd] CARE - FOOD

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Wed May 27 20:18:46 EDT 2009

Ty, it is great that your piggies get veggies each day, but you are right that it would be good to feed less romaine.  Also, their diet, particularly of parsley and spinach, is high in oxalates, which can lead to bladder stones.  Some veggies that have lower oxalate content are cucumbers and turnip root (the white "ball" part, not the green turnips).  I would probably cut out the spinach entirely and feed less parsley, as well as less romaine.  However you should change their diet slowly so that the change isn't a shock to their system.  A sudden change might lead to diarrhea, etc., as they get used to new veggies.  We're sure others will be able to offer other dietary suggestions.

Hope this helps.

Cindy, Tumbleweed, and Friday