[Gpdd] (Health) growing bladder and diarrhea 2 sick piggies,

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Fri May 29 09:44:27 EDT 2009

For Herbie the bladder will burst he must have surgery, I really good vet surgeon can go straight up the urethra to grab the stone, It is now a screaming emergency, blocking the poop is a secondary issue, I would do the surgery immediately regardless of his age, The bladder must be drained and the blockage removed. Make sure your vet uses a quick acting anesthetic, administered through a mask so it can be immediately reversed if he gets in trouble, better than a longer anesthetic administered thru a tube. There was a recent case at the etherbun yahoo list where this happened and the bladder did burst followed by immediate passing of the poor bun. And I completely agree with Judi at bunsnpigs, if the surgery proves impossible to finish  then he can be administered more drug and go quietly to the Rainbow Bridge

If your vet isn't good enough for the surgery get his opinion on the best surgeon or  go to the www.rabbit.org, the house rabbit society homepage and see the section they have on recommended vets, you then also look up the local state chapter where you live, they maintain lists, if there is a veterinary University in your state go there.

For Lyn's piggie that has the diarrhea, this an abnormal condition, obviously, and the diet is the first culprit  First look at the pellets, make sure they aren't made up of corn and wheat, they should be mostly hay, preferably timothy if this is an adult piggie. Then make sure piggy is getting lots of fresh  hay, all he can eat every day. Then he can have romaine and parsley and cilantro and  a little kale, very well washed. Cut out every thing else. make sure the pellets are fresh and nothing smells moldy or has black spots

But go to the vet as there are intestinal parasites and he should have a fecal float done.  The vet could get you some Bene-bac  which is the best probiotic for our little furballs and a shot of B vitamins. Also report if there is mucous with the diarrhea, this is often a sign that there is an irritant in the intestines, and the mucous is made to protect the gut and help expel the foreign matter The vet must also check for a  bacterial disease, some of which can kill like cossidiosis (weight loss is one symptom) another parasite, or a bacterial enteritis which can be caused by e.coli or clostridium.

Do not give yogurt, a milk product to a piggy with diarrhea, use the Bene-bac, milk would make matters worse. www.guinealynx.info suggests that 1/2 of a fresh dropping from a healthy pig can be mashed with water and given. Also kaopectate can be given orally 0.1 cc every 6 to 8 hours as needed . Make sure the brand you use has only kaolin and no pain relievers They say another source suggests the dosage should be 0.2 ml also 2 to 3 times a day. This does not treat the cause, so the vet should be seen, if a parasitic or bacterial infection is present, kaopectate wont cure it and piggie could get a lot sicker and waste away if you try home treatments before going to the vet. You and the vet must make sure the piggie is getting enough fluids especially if the diarrhea  is very liquid, and keep his little bottom clean, avoid ant possibility flies could be attracted

if the vet finds no bacterial disease the it may be useful to use a motility drug like cisapride or metoclopramide as stated in an article meant for rabbits at www.medirabbit.com.  this must be very carefully considered  the link is here http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/GI_stimulation/motility_diarrhea.htm and the subject of diarrhea  in rabbits is found here http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/GI_diseases_main.htm  This would be for your vet, piggies and rabbits are obviously different animals and their physiology is very different, but this is what I can find

Have a friend check the piggies environment for anything he could be eating, like his bedding, some will eat it, or once I let the bag of hay get too close and he nibbled that, can he reach the drapes?  Sterilize the water bottle completely, vinegar is probably ok but bleach is better, likewise the cage, some will eat corn cob bedding. Let the water bottle and cage dry completely before using or refilling, change the water every other day let it stand half an hour without the lid to clear off the chlorine, but dont use distilled water.

If there are any characteristics to the diarrhea like pain, gas, excessive wateriness, really foul smell, the age of the pig all these should be stated as well if he is loosing weight. have this ready for the vet as well as a fresh sample

Good luck to both pigs you are in my prayers and thoughts, love Sandy and Li'l Pig soon to be a pirate hopefully with a pirate lass on his arm