[Gpdd] Announcement - Introducing Ghirardelli

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Nov 2 05:07:53 EST 2009

Welcome new piggy, Ghirardelli. She sounds lovely.

I would not trust any vet here to neuter a piggy, let alone spay one so my answer would be to keep Ghirardelli in her own cage but put it next to Donovan for the company. Depending on how may piggies you want, you could look out for another sow to be her cage mate and continue your search for a little boar for Donovan.

I have pens of piggies right next to each other and have no trouble keeping pairs of boars next to a group of sows. I have done this for decades with up to 35 piggies and there has always been harmony. They all chat to each other through the wire but there is never any fighting amongst the boars, despite the proximity of lots of sows.

Anaesthetics always carry a huge risk for piggies and, personally, I would only allow anaesthesia in a life or death situation.

Hugs for Ghirardelli.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.