[Gpdd] Misc: Biff

ANDREW SILL jaggs4 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 3 16:26:55 EST 2009

hello everyone and every pig
We took Biff to the vet yesterday at 415pm. We didnt even get to see the vet we wanted, as she was at the Zoo working on Monday. We had to see her assitant he is young. At this point Biff has had 3      doses of antibotics and his   eyes were way better and he was walking normal again. no circles.  He looked in his ears with a mini camra thingy that looked like a normal thing that you look in ears with,  but it showed what he was looking at on the tv! he said Biffs ears were very dirty! and said they do not clean guinea pigs ears as its way to delicate in there to mess with. ( I thought why then are you looking in there?) He then decided that I needed to keep him on the baby Ibrofin since that was the med I started him on at home. I said I did that to get him thru the nite with out pain and to get the swelling down in the ear. He said they dont like to change pain meds once they are started on a pig. I asked him about Rimadyl. He said that
 they use meloxicam as its is in liquid form and he said piggies do well with it. I   thought no that isnt what Ann siad! so I figured they must not have the Rimadyl at that office.  He did give me more of the Sulfamethoxazole 48mg/ml   he said to give Biff 0.65ml every 12 hours.. Again I question the dose as Ann said he was to get 0.5 ml  twice a day.   I  really wished we had a good vet around here. SO those of you that do have good guinea vets you are truely blessed and give those vets a big hug! Very long story longer... Today Biff is feeling good.  He is walking fine again and his eyes are back to normal. Can a anitboitic work that fast? The vet wants me to give him this anitibotic for 4 weeks! that seems like a long time to me.  I feel more comfortable giving him the 0.5 ml twice a day like Ann suggested.  And Ann also said for 14 days. Again I will follow that instead of 4 weeks! Thanks again for all the emails of concern and ideas
 to help Biff. So glad he is feeling better already. I was just surprised and pleased on how fast he turned around. this is day 3 of anitboitics:)
Thank you everyone,
Jean & Andy and Biff! (from the misfits)