[Gpdd] HEALTH: Baby Truffles has a respiratory problem

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 12 00:25:52 EST 2009

Hello everyone and everypig!  Late Sunday night, we heard a strange sound.  Turns out, Baby Truffles was breathing funny.  She seemed okay after a few minutes.  Then Monday morning, we heard it again.  You could only hear it when the room was very, very quiet.  So I quickly called the vet and they managed to see her within a of couple hours.  The vet said her lungs were clear but he could hear her labored breathing.  So he prescribed sulfatrim twice a day.  He said it's contagious so he also put her mompig, Blossom, on it.  We're wondering if their playmate, Sparkles, should also be put on the antibiotic?  Sparkles has her own pen, right next to theirs, seems fine for now and we don't want to 'overdrug' her, so we were just wondering.

Michael heard a light 'clicking' sound when he listened to Baby Truffles' lungs that monday morning.  He said, according to Peter Gurney's book, that means we caught it early.  We hope so!

Oh, does anyone know what to do when a piggie has dry skin?  Blossom seems to have dry skin.  She had some hair loss but it's growing back rather sparsely and slowly.  She had been treated with ivermectin and panacur for any bugs she might have had.  Just wondering if dry skin could be a result of the medications.

Thanks!!

Corrine and Michael