[Gpdd] CARE: Coroplast cage bottoms vs piggie incisors

Ginger Fitzsimmons matildalucet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 14 19:18:34 EST 2009

I think all of our boys (except Niles, who predated our C&C) have
sampled the coroplast. Most of them did not make a habit of extensive
nibbling, though one or two of the current abbies have to be reminded
frequently. They keep trying to pretend they don't understand me, but
given the expression in the eyes, I can tell they are fibbing.

I have seen no health symptoms from the nibbling, but then we do try
to break them of the behavior early (and if needed, often). They
mostly nibble doorways or other easily accessible edges. We covered
some low edges with cardboard and paper which they can bite without
harm. I don't know any way to cover the edges of their various
doorways; I guess we just have to rely on behavior modification.

They also like to sample cable ties and twist ties, but are more
easily talked into leaving those things alone. Now that I think of
it, they like to sample almost everything. One of our guys attacked
metal binder clips when he thought we weren't looking. Silly piggers!

-ginger
co-slave to Bumper, Brownie, and Cuddles
remembering Niles, Butterscotch, Clover, and Mike