[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: Liberty: July 2, 2005 - November 11, 2009

ME me at buddies.org
Sun Nov 15 23:43:43 EST 2009

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of my little
Peruvian.  It did not come as a surprise as she had been sick for the
last couple months, starting with a couple UTIs in mid-September to
October, then decreased mobility in mid-October.  The vet believed it
was caused by a back injury and put her on Metacam.  I supplemented
her with hand feeding since her UTIs, but by the end of October, I
was hand feeding her every 3-4 hours from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.  I was
starting to suspect something else was going on as she seemed to go
downhill each time she seemed to be getting better, but I also felt
that she was too weak to survive a trip to the vet, so I made the
decision to keep her as comfortable as possible and try to get her
strong enough to make the trip.  She seemed to be getting much
stronger the first week of November, but took a turn for the worse
over the weekend.  She started to eat less Monday night, and by
Tuesday evening, I knew the end was very near.  Between 10 p.m. and
4:30 a.m., she took her final breath.

Necropsy showed that she had a few things, cystic ovaries and hepatic
lipidosis, but the vet believes cause of death was from a weak
heart.  It was approximately twice as large as it should have been.
Obviously, there was no cure for that, so I suppose I made the right
decision keeping her at home.  I was feeling pretty guilty about not
bringing her to the vet after she died, but my intuition told me not
to move her and just keep her comfortable and try to give her body a
chance to heal.

I don't know what else to write right now.  Deaths after prolonged
care seem to hit hardest.  At least I have her five friends to get me
through.