[Gpdd] (Health) Mimi

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Mon Nov 16 08:34:32 EST 2009

I can think of one thing now that I know her weight is normal. Certain
parasites, usually worms I think,  if not dealt with will live on in the gut
and go through their little wormy life cycles over and over again. During
part of that life cycle there are allot of new worms going round in the gut
causing diarrhea every so often depending. You can try a fecal float to find
them, but you already know they are at a minimum most of the time, viewing
prepared slides under the microscope may give a clue as well.  I would talk
this over with the vet and as a first try just treat with the regular 2 or 3
doses of ivermectin 7 to 10 days apart, even without doing any tests and see
if that clears it up, if not then I would do the tests to try to ID the
particular parasite and match the meds to the worm and it's particular life
cycle for the med timing.  If she is loosing weight or seems in any distress
or can't keep herself clean, then go ahead and do this now.

Are their other piggies or other animals in the house and does she get floor
time?  She might pick up parasites that way.  Also they can be picked up
during a garden romp, its hard to keep a garden free of other animals, birds
droppings, raccoons, snails, flying insects, and chemicals on the stuff she
will eat. Just give a good evaluation of her living conditions and see if
there is a place for contamination and improvements. Any other animals
should be checked for and treated for parasites as well and a very thorough
cleaning in concert with the treatments to get everything at once. 10%
chlorine bleach solution on the metal and plastic goods, cages etc. Replace
the soft stuff. Just give a good evaluation of the environment and improve
wherever its possible. If a parasite is ID'd ask the vet what other animals
get it or carry it, and does it live in th environment. I really hope this
helps but truly recurrent periodic diarrhea is usually caused by parasites.
Sandy and Sammy