[Gpdd] MISC- bedding and medicines

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Nov 18 04:57:39 EST 2009

Jaime,

So sorry to read about your husband's work troubles and your own fight for
disability payments. Good luck with that.

If I used Carefresh, I could never afford to keep Piggyfriends running. Such
products did not exist when I first had piggies and I used thick wads of
newspaper with hay on top. Decades later and I am still doing the same
thing. An army of kind folk save me their newspapers and I buy hay by the
bale from a nearby farm.

I sort the papers to remove any glossy ones as these are not absorbent and
set aside any with staples so that I can remove them at a later time. Oh the
joy of spending an evening de-stapling newspapers but it has to be done as
that is the only dangerous part of using them.

Newspaper in England is printed with non toxic ink so there is no danger to
the piggies if they decide to eat some. There are always a few who like to
tear their paper into strips or make interesting shapes from it but no harm
is done.
I mentioned newspaper in a recent post and I remember that Sandy replied to
say that US paper is the same so it is something that you could consider.

I clean out all of my pens every morning and give the piggies fresh paper
but with only Mimi to care for this would not take long. I roll up the old
paper with all the mess inside and put down clean sheets.

My piggies are perfectly happy on their paper. They are much more concerned
playing with their friends and with the time that the veggies arrive.

Regarding the over the counter painkiller, I always keep a bottle of Nurofen
in my piggy first aid box. It is the brand name of children's liquid
ibuprofen. It is orange flavoured and is labelled 100mg/5ml. oral
suspension. If the strength is the same in the US, the dose is 4ml. twice
daily. My Rodentologists use this all the time and it is very safe for
piggies.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.