[Gpdd] [Health] Mimi worries about e.c.

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Thu Nov 19 22:09:51 EST 2009

I think its ok to clean the carpet with a disinfectant.  After half an hour
or so, start rinsing with sprayed water  or use a carpet cleaner. If you
spray water then put a bath towel over it and stand on it to wick out the
water, repeat until the water coming out doesn't smell of Lysol or urine,
and is getting dry, you want it to dry as soon as possible to avoid the
possibility of mold.   You have to use enough Lysol to do the disinfecting
and then rinse it out.

If you think the area was really soaked with urine you should pull up the
carpet and see if the padding and floor or underlayment was damaged or
soaked, if so discuss with Home Depot or Lowes to repair the area, otherwise
the smell will just come up again. There is a product that can be painted on
the underlayment, then patch with new padding and try to completely clean or
replace the top carpet.   Its very difficult to ID if theses baby buns were
infected, and if so did any have an active e.c. infection. Did any of the
babies appear to be a weakling and die?  That's what happens when a baby bun
gets an active infection.

e.c. is very difficult to understand  Its lifecycle is sporadic, its
microscopic in size, and between active infections it encysts itself, at
that point the bun may or may not be a carrier.  Did you understand the
dilemma I wrote about getting meaning results from the titre test, which is
the only one available?  Can you re read what I wrote before during
Hershey's case so you know what to look for, or read the referenced article
esp those by Dana Kremples PhD. on her website
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/rabbithealth.html

I only ask because I dont know what I should repeat to give you all the info
you need.  The easiest answer is to change the carpet or put a large remnant
over the are after you have it cleaned as best you can. Be sure that any
hardscape, tools, cages, bowls etc are cleaned in 10% chlorine bleach
solution  and make sure your baby gets prophylactic ivermectin treatments in
pairs, 7 to 10 days apart.  That will help with many other parasites and
worms that can be passed by rabbits too as well as the anecdotal evidence
given by the article Penny Charlesworth provided that had written by a
breeder. Does this answer you well? If not ask more and check out the
archives.    Good luck Sandy and Sammy