[Gpdd] [Health] Malocclusion

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Fri Nov 20 22:59:28 EST 2009

Heather, I was very sorry to hear that your Hamlet is not feeling well.

The symptoms that you are describing following Hamlet's proceedure are not normal, but unfortunately, they do happen.
I don't mean to scare you, but my dearly departed Dillon's problems began following tooth surgery, and he had many of the same symptoms.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. Keeping him hydrated and keeping some food in his belly are critical.
Something like this happened to Dillon twice. The first time giving him critical care and fluids brought him around within two weeks.

If he is in pain, metacam seems like a good thing to try. When Dillon was sick, Ann from Piggyville in Tampa recommended Rimadyl 10mg two times per day for for three days then 5 mg two times per day until the symptoms improve for pain. My vet wouldn't prescribe it because she said it was too dangerous. Talk to your vet and see what he or she thinks is best.  Ann says that there is 20 years worth of data on using Rimadyl on piggies.

You didn't mention if he was under anesthesia for the procedure. If so, please keep an eye on the other end of his digestive system. If his poops are smaller or less frequent than usual, you may need to try metoclopramide syrup to stimulate gut motility. You'll have to get that from the vet, and I believe that dosage is based on weight.

I'd also try getting some Benebac into him. You can get that from your vet or some pet stores carry it.

I hope that your little Hamlet will be feeling better soon! Best Wishes,

ME in New Smyrna Beach with Donovan, Puffball, Cocoa Puff, Ghirardelli, Chakalaka and Dillon Forever in our Hearts