[Gpdd] [Health] Malocclusion

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Sun Nov 22 08:58:37 EST 2009

Heather and Hamlet,

I had one guinea pig with malocclusion, the first time she had her
molars trimmed,  it took a while for her to recover as it was so bad.
Hamlet could have sores in his mouth which make it painful to eat, so
it can take a couple of days. However, it concerns me that he is not
drinking on his own. Sometimes there can be some sharp bits on the
tooth that are not noticeable right away, accept to a sensitive
guinea pig mouth.

I definitely think you should update your vet on the situation. My
vet never used anathesia so we didn't worry about that aspect of it.
I remember, as Wilbur had always been a fussy eater, trying to tempt
her with various foods. Of all things, she absolutely loved toast, so
I would sprinkle crumbs of toast on her pellets, and she was nosing
through them to get the toast, she would start eating the pellets,
realizing she could eat them again. Which is opposite to my personal
experience of eating toast after dental work.

Since Hamlet is trying to eat the pellets, that isn't the issue. One
idea you might try is using Peter Guerney's recipe for barley water.
It is meant for soothing bladders but it might be soothing to Hamlets
mouth and the barley won't hurt him either.

Evelyn